Sunday, August 28, 2011

Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oi Oi Oi!

Rugby is a very popular sport here in Australia and it would just be wrong to not attend a game during my time here.

So when my roommate Clint told me the season would be ending within the next two weeks I saw my dreams of seeing an Australian rugby game slowly going down the drain.  You see, there is a game next Saturday during the day and that just happens to be the day of my first midterm :/  This is also the last game of the season.

Luckily, Clint did some research and found out that there was going to be a game on Friday night between the Canadian National Team and the Australian Barbarians.  Apparently, the Barbarians are a team compiled of club rugby players and some players from the Australian National Team.  It was more of just a practice game which was fine by me.

The game started at 7:30 pm so we got on the bus around 5:45 pm and headed for the Skilled Park Stadium which is located south of Surfers Paradise.


I could hardly conceal my excitement as we approached the stadium!  I just felt like I was taking part in something truly Australian!

Once we were in the arena our first priority was beer.  I mean come on,  what is a rugby game without beer?


With beer in hand we took our seats and enjoyed watching the Australian team warm up.  Or at least I enjoyed watching them warm up haha.

Haha what is this guy doing?


They only filled up one side of the stadium because it was a practice game.



It was an exciting game and the Barbarians ended up winning 27-14.  Go Barbarians!

After the game we headed for the bus stop, as did the entire stadium!  It began to rain and I think the question on everyone's mind was...will there be enough buses to get all of these people home?

After waiting about 15 minutes in the rain a man from the stadium came out and broke the bad news.  There would only be one more bus coming.  There must have been at least 100 people waiting for one bus..how is that going to work?!

Luckily we seemed to be standing in right spot and we were able to get on the bus immediately when it came.

I'm not sure if everyone made it on the bus but man was it full!

 
This little stinker in the green sweatshirt kept pushing the stop button!  I thought the lady in front of him was going to smack him!

Finally it was time to get off the bus.  I couldn't have been happier to get home!  I was so tired and hungry!  Overall it was a very fun event and now I can say I have been to an Australian Rugby game!  


Anna







1 comment: